11/08/2022 - 17:39Woman in her 80s dies after being pulled from the sea
First published: 11/08/2022 10:38 - A woman aged in her 80s has died following an incident at a beach in north EssexEmergency services responded to . concerns for the wellbeing of a woman at Walton-on-the-Naze/, between Clacton and Harwich, at about 6. 20pm on Wednesday. People were urged to stay away from the beachfront for several hours after the incident. Police confirmed on Thursday morning a woman had been pulled from the water. Despite receiving medical attention from paramedics, she died at the scene. The woman's death is not being treated as suspicious by Essex Police. Police thanked members of the public and partner agencies for their efforts in responding to the incident. Terry Allen, mayor at Frinton and Walton Town Council, said he was aware of the emergency services' presence by the resort's beachfront on Wednesday evening. He expressed his condolences to the woman's family after her death was confirmed by police. Mr Allen said: The police cut off the beach and told everyone who was there to move on. We thought someone had been airlifted away. It was quite disturbing when we heard all the emergency services had been called to the beach. We were aware of this activity, and it is tragic to hear the person involved has now sadly passed away. A number of coastguard rescue teams, RNLI lifeboats and the coastguard helicopter were also dispatched to Walton-on-the-Naze to reports of someone in the water on Tuesday afternoon. However, nobody was found following a search. The woman's death comes after . 21-year-old Sujal Sahu drowned while swimming/ in the sea at Clacton Pier on Tuesday, July 19, the hottest day of the year. The body of Mr Sahu, who was a computer science student at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge, was found in Jaywick four days later. Earlier this week, Essex Coroners Court heard a postmortem examination at Colchester Hospital had concluded that Mr Sahu, who grew up in Rajasthan in India, had drowned, pending a toxicology report. An inquest into his death will resume next year.
11/08/2022 - 17:20Crews battle huge 15-acre fire in mid Suffolk village
First published: 11/08/2022 15:24 - Fire crews have extinguished a 15-acre blaze in a mid Suffolk villageEmergency services were called to Stowmarket Road in Rattlesden at 2. 48pm on Thursday. According to Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, they arrived to find 15 acres of stubble field well alight. Just before 4. 15pm, the fire service confirmed it had 12 appliances at blaze, but added: Crews have worked hard to contain the fire and are now hotspotting and damping down. Police thanked the public for their patience while Stowmarket Road was closed as a result of the fire and added that the local farming community had helped to stop the fire. Appliances were sent to the scene from Framlingham, Leiston, Needham Market, Stowmarket, Hadleigh, Long Melford, Clare, Haverhill, Bury St Edmunds and Elmswell. The road was reopened by 4. 30pm and a 'stop' call was made by Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service at 4. 34pm.
11/08/2022 - 16:25Youre not Steve McQueen - Vehicles reported for anti-social driving
At least four more vehicles have been reported for driving anti-socially near a town retail parkThe drivers were reported to police for their driving on the A12 in Kessingland and were directed to the Gateway Retail Park in Lowestoft where they were spoken to by police. Following the stops a 21-year-old man was given a section 59 traffic offence report (TOR) for anti-social driving and behaviour in his car. A moped rider was also given a section 59 for anti-social behaviour. It comes as police fight an ongoing battle with those driving in an inconsiderate manner in the town, with . officers stepping up patrols in August last year. /A Lowestoft police spokesman said on Facebook: It doesnt matter if you drive a Bugatti Chiron or a 1976 Morris Marina, if you rev the engine unnecessarily, wheel spin, doughnut around car parks, or generally drive like a total buffoon annoying everyone in sight, you will be dealt with accordingly. You are not Steve McQueen in Bullitt and the Lowestoft retail parks and dual carriageways are not the streets of San Francisco. Just last month, . a VW Golf and a BMW were seized for driving anti-socially having previously been warned. /Other incidents have seen five vehicles dealt with by police in the area for a number of . offences ranging from two people riding an e-scooter down the A47 at night with no lights to a Citroen Saxo being driven in an anti-social manner. /Drivers have been meeting at the retail park, with . those living and working in the area saying anti-social driving and excessive noise from screeching tyres, revving engines and noisy exhausts are causing concern in the community. /
11/08/2022 - 16:1210-acre field fire breaks out in south Suffolk village
First published: 11/08/2022 13:13 - A large number of fire crews have been called to a blaze which has broken out in a village on the Shotley peninsula in south SuffolkCrews have been called to a 10-acre field fire near Hazel Shrub off Bergholt Road, Bentley, at 12. 10pm on Thursday.

A large field fire broke out in Bentley today

According to the fire service, the blaze started in an area of standing crops.

Fire in Applewood Acre in Bentley PICTURE: CHARLOTTE BOND

A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said: Crews are currently at the scene of a 10-acre fire involving standing crop which is well alight. Appliances were sent to the scene from Colchester, Manningtree, Ipswich East, Woodbridge, Princes Street, Holbrook, Leiston, Stowmarket, Hadleigh, Long Melford, Ixworth and Newmarket.

Fire in Applewood Acre in Bentley PICTURE: CHARLOTTE BOND

Grey smoke was pictured rising from the field, which is near East Bergholt. By 3. 45pm, the spokesman added that significant progress had been made and efforts were being scaled down.

11/08/2022 - 16:00Threat of taxi strike action over new vehicle age rules
Taxi drivers in Stowmarket have warned that new vehicle age requirements will tear the industry to shredsMid Suffolk District Council has introduced requirements for drivers who first apply to have a safe vehicle less than eight years old. They are also increasing the frequency of checks for fossil-fuelled taxis that are more than 10 years old. Co-director of Arrow Taxi Services in Stowmarket Darren Riseborough worries that this will put many taxi operators out of business, saying: The industry has suffered massively during the pandemic and this is the latest blow. He added: We feel as if we've been pushed aside for a number of years, so this latest development is incredibly frustrating. A Mid Suffolk District Council spokesman said: We believe the requirements are a reasonable balance between protecting the public and the needs of the trade. The possibility of strike action was discussed at a meeting of 30 taxi company directors on Wednesday, August 10. Mr Riseborough attended the meeting and said of the 109 plates left in Stowmarket, 55 have agreed that these requirements will have a negative impact on their industry. He added: One of my colleagues has bought vehicles which are now being denied a taxi license, meaning he has lost a lot of money. There should at least be a warning period where we have the chance to regroup and rethink our fleets. On a personal level, Mr Riseborough also said he would seriously consider walking away from the taxi industry if this new legislation is upheld, saying it will tear the industry to shreds. The district council spokesman added: We recognise the role that our taxi trade plays as a vital part of our local rural transport system and the challenges that the industry faces.  Ultimately, however, we are responsible for ensuring our policies not only meet the required standards set by the Department for Transport, but also protects the taxi-travelling public and environment.
11/08/2022 - 16:00Ukrainian refugee support group meet with local MP
The South Suffolk MP has met with Ukrainian refugees to discuss the assistance provided by a local refugee support group and ongoing issues with employment and transportJames Cartlidge MP spoke with Ukrainian refugees in a meeting organised by local support group Hadleigh Host Ukrainians (HHU). Co-founder of HHU Shauna Bilson detailed the services they offer: We have anything from trauma specialists to qualified English teachers, health experts, translators and people who can help with transport and form filling. Hadleigh Rotary Club has also helped with bikes, phones and equipment for English lessons and the organisation has benefitted from the fundraising efforts of community member Sarah Thompson who has been selling Ukrainian badges and tea towels. With more than 50 Ukrainians now living in or near Hadleigh, a major issue has arisen surrounding finding them suitable employment and transport. Mr Cartlidge met with three generations of refugees: Olena, her mother Iryna and her daughter Sofiia who arrived in Hadleigh on June 21.

South Suffolk MP James Cartlidge met with three generations of refugees: Olena, her mother Iryna and her daughter Sofiia.

The HHU is providing English lessons to Olena's family to help them settle in and Iryna is growing produce at an allotment donated to them with equipment from a Layham events group. Olena has now found work at the Flying Guardsman bistro, but told Mr Cartlidge that many Ukrainians were still looking for work in the town and, with more families due to arrive, the demand for jobs was increasing. Mr Cartlidge acknowledged these problems and said he is working on a plan for matching job vacancies to Ukrainians while also looking into solutions for alleviating transport issues. HHU co-founder Cyndy is hosting Olena's family and spoke on the daunting prospect of providing the right environment for refugees being eased by community support: All I had was the space to host. No expertise in what was needed and no idea of how to help them settle into UK life. Most have left their men behind, as well as their homes, so there is continued stress. Being able to talk with other hosts via online messaging is really useful and the Ukrainians have built up a very active and supportive community through their WhatsApp group. The Hadleigh Hosts Ukrainians group offer continuous support to those hosting, or planning to host, refugees and encourages those from the town and surrounding areas to get in touch via their . Facebook page/.

11/08/2022 - 16:00A dream come true: Suffolk squash player on Commonwealth Games
A Suffolk squash player has been welcomed home following her appearance at the Commonwealth Games. Lucy Turmel, 22, competed with Team England at this year's games in Birmingham, reaching the quarter-final stages of both the singles and the women's doubles. On Wednesday, Lucy returned to Martlesham Leisure Club, where she trains, to celebrate her achievement. I had to pinch myself, she said.  

Lucy and her brother, Josh Turmel, who trains alongside her at Martlesham Leisure

I was there competing with athletes I would usually watch on the TV.  It was just so surreal. I'm a bit sad that it's all over now. The two weeks flew past because it was so much fun and we were so busy. Lucy's love of sport started at the age of eight and she fitted in gymnastics and squash training sessions throughout her teens.  

Lucys love of sport started at the age of eight, eventually deciding to focus primarily on squash in her teens

She eventually decided to place her primary focus on squash and used PE at school as training to get fit.  Her years of hard work eventually paid off when she received a call earlier this year telling her she would be competing at this summer's games.  A year ago I set a goal to go to the games, she said. But back then I felt it was a little out of reach and I didn't quite believe it would happen.

The 22-year-old was welcomed home by family and friends at Martlesham Leisure Club

But being there competing for Team England filled me with so much pride. It was a dream come true. Lucy is now set for a short holiday before flying out to America to resume training for the new season.  Now I'm going to have a bit of break, she said.  And then I'm going to America, where my coach is, to do a couple of weeks of training before the new season starts in France.  

Lucy has set her sights on eventually challenging for a gold medal

My main goal this season is to get my ranking up. I want to be a part of the all of the England teams and I like to think think that in four years I'll be challenging for a gold medal.

11/08/2022 - 15:33Ex-Town striker joins League One rival
First published: 11/08/2022 13:45 - Former Ipswich Town striker Ellis Harrison has joined League One rivals Port Vale - just eight months after signing for fellow third tier side FleetwoodHarrison, who spent the 2018-19 season in Suffolk, scoring just once in 17 games, left the Blues for Portsmouth, where he bagged 20 strikes in 84 games, before signing for Fleetwood in January. He scored six in 20 games there - and only agreed a new deal in May - before departing for newly-promoted Port Vale for an undisclosed fee. The move sees him reunited with boss Darrell Clarke, for whom he played at Bristol Rovers for four years,. Clarke said: œI know a lot about Ellis because I made him, no disrespect to him, but Ellis would tell you that himself. œHes a physical presence, he can run, and he has a lot of excellent elements to his game, especially once we have the hunger back into his game and hell be a very good talent for us. œWhen I had him at Bristol Rovers, we ended up selling him for a large fee to Ipswich, so I know very well about all his strengths, his character, how he is around the dressing room and that he is a winner. œHe also brings with him that pedigree at the League One level, and I know he is coming in hungry and ready to give his all. œI know hell liven up some of the group too with his bad banter as well!œSo, were really pleased to have been able to have gotten this bit of business done. 
11/08/2022 - 11:43Investigation ongoing after huge blaze rips through land near Ipswich
An investigation into a huge fire that ripped through shrubland near Ipswich is still ongoing and no cause has been established, the fire service has confirmedSuffolk Fire and Rescue Service were called to the . fire at Rushmere Heath/ at about 5. 40pm on Tuesday. People spotted large plumes of smoke from across the town.  

Almost 150 calls were made to the fire service about the blaze at Rushmere Heath

Nearby residents were asked to avoid the area and were advised to keep windows and doors closed due to the smoke billowing from the blaze.  Pictures taken since the fire was put out have . revealed the aftermath of the /incident, which has left large areas of shrubland destroyed near Rushmere Golf Club.  A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said: The fire is still under investigation but, at present, we have no cause to believe that it was started deliberately so consider it to have been accidental. The fire service received . almost 150 calls about the blaze/ as seven crews from Ipswich East, Princes Street, Woodbridge, Holbrook and Needham Market were sent to the scene.

Firefighters returned to the scene of the blaze yesterday to check on any hotspots

Speaking at the scene of the fire on Tuesday, Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service station manager Andy Message said: Our combined fire control room took 147 calls to this incident because it was seen from some distance away. It comes after recent field blazes in . Claydon/, . East Bergholt/ and . Little Glemham/.